Thursday, June 3, 2010

En route: Washington DC, Day 1


So after missing my first train out of town, (partially my fault) I finally got on my way to Washington D.C.. It was a pleasant trip. A lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I spent the first few hours just sitting in silence and soaking up the fact that I'm on this trip, which is somewhat of an extra long vacation. It still has not sunk in yet. In between this extended deep breath I decided to strike up conversation with the guy next to me, who I'll eventually and accidentally, be laying my head on his shoulder when we pass out later in the night. Well, I didn't ended up passing out on his shoulder, but we did talk it up for a bit. His name was Marcus. He was a young man of African American decent. From Raleigh, North Carolina. The guy looked exactly like Michael Irvin, and was just as large. This kind of gives you the idea of two big dudes like us sharing that small little space for 19 hours.

Since I'm pretty antsy and can't really sit in one spot too long, I decided to spend the majority of the time in the cocktail car. This is where they serve food and drinks, and people seem to have the most conversation, by playing cards, reading newspapers and all types of different interaction. By the time I was finally able to fall a sleep, I went back to my assigned chair and ended up cuddling with Marcus... ;)

The over night sleep was horrible. There is no possible way to sleep comfortably. I did get a really good stretch when Marcus got off in N.C.. This was short lived, because all of a sudden I'm being slapped and woken up by a lady when we reached Virginia. Guess I was hogging her new chair. Oh well, time to cuddle with her now...

Just before we reached D.C. I met a poet from NYC named Claude. This was my type of dude. Typical Def Poetry type cat from New York, who was also a crazy New York Knicks fan. He thinks the Lakers are taking the series in 6, I told him he's crazy and it'll definitely be 7. Just talking to him though, almost inspired me to stay on the train and take it all the way to NY. This is something I'd originally planned, but decided not to do. Maybe I'll do that on the way back to Florida. Anyways, we arrived in D.C., I handed Claude a Cadillac Recipe CD, told him to burn it and pass it on, then I said goodbye. Off to the nations Capital I go, to talks some politics and see some history...




^Richmond Virginia^

No comments:

Post a Comment