Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 1

Winter Park, FL - Probably one of the more beautiful cities I will see on this trip, so figured I start here, even though I've lived in and out of this area over the past few years. I road my bike around the Rollins campus, took care of some last minute promotions for the radio station, road down Park Ave to pick up my train ticket, and I'm off. At 7:45 I will be on an Amtrak train ride around the country. I hope this blog helps people to see that the train system is alive and well in America. It does need some help though. Starting with the fact that you can't take a train from Florida, west towards California, without stopping in Washington D.C.. Doesn't make any sense right? Luckily for myself, I have one of my best friends, Sean Jupiter and his family living in D.C., so no problems here.

I'm going to try and not post too many negatives about the train system, because I believe in it, but I will post the things that I believe need changing. Another is that Amtrak needs to reinstate the Florida rail pass, which we used to have in the good old days. This gives us the option to travel all through Florida, for a whole year, for one standard price, which used to be about $250. This WAS a great deal. Let us all write to Amtrak and demand that they give us this option. It's better for all of us, the roads, our health and sanity, traffic, etc...

Off to the station I go. Next stop, D.C......

No comments:

Post a Comment